Tuesday, 8 January 2008

Working with Aperture Priority

Have you seen the Photography course that has just started on the 'Two Peas' Messageboard? You can find it here
The first lesson is about working with your camera's aperture settings. Our assignment was to take the 'same' photo and us a range of aperture settings: wide open (lowest f-stop) to small aperture (highest f-stop).

I went out this afternoon to have a play.
I have taken a series of three photographs using: f/4, f/11 and
f/22. The idea is to see what difference the aperture setting makes to the depth of field.

f/4 @ 55mm 1/750sec ISO200


















f/11 @ 55mm 1/125sec ISO200



















f/22 @ 55mm 1/125sec ISO800





















f/4 @55mm 1/750sec ISO200












f/11 @55mm 1/125sec ISO200













f/22 @55mm 1/90sec ISO400













I think this next set is my favourite, and it illustrates the difference really well.
f/4 @55mm 1/350sec ISO200



















f/11 @55mm 1/125sec ISO400




















f/22 @55mm 1/125sec ISO1600




















Which set do you like best?
Which one in the set is your favourite?
Why?
Make a comment and let me know what you think. Thanks!

You should go check the Tutorial (use the link I posted above) . . . I can't wait until next weeks lesson.
I will keep practising with this while I wait.

One thing I have noticed is . . . I forgot to change my cameras ISO to a specific setting (100 or 200 would have been good), it was still set on an 'ISO Range'. Consequently, the camera adjusted the ISO setting as well as the shutter speed, to compensate for the Aperture setting I was using.

I need to do this again with a 'set' ISO and see what difference it makes!

1 comment:

Aussie Wendy said...

This one is my favourite f/4 @55mm 1/350sec ISO200, the cow with the grass in the foreground, where the grass is in focus.

Great photos! Lucky cows just tend to stand there. I really need to do this course. I've had my camera for almost a year and I need to get it off Auto.

Wendy